Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bella Rose O'Neil


Phew, these last 48 hrs have been a whirlwind. We are so thankful for our amazing new blessing, Bella Rose O'Neil. She is doing wonderfully, and we are all adjusting to life with a new baby and life far away from home.

Recap:
6:37pm Sunday, 5/9 Bella Rose was born; 5 lb 7 oz, 19"
3:30pm Monday, 5/10 Received phone call stating that there was a mom potentially interested in us
4:00pm Monday, 5/10 Received phone call that we were chosen!
4:00am Tuesday, 5/11 Left home to catch two planes to Dallas, TX
11:00am Tuesday, 5/11 Arrived at airport at DFW, acquired rental SUV
12:30pm Tuesday, 5/11 Met social worker, birthmom & baby Bella
7:30pm Tuesday, 5/11 Birthmom signed paperwork relinquishing rights to Bella
8:00pm Tuesday, 5/11 Left hospital with our new baby girl!
9:00pm Tuesday, 5/11 Arrived to Hotel with two sleepy children
8:00am Wed, 5/12 Greg & Jess got FBI fingerprinted

I apologize it's taken us this long to get a photo out. I will hope to get more photos on FB later today or tomorrow, but just as I was ready to upload them, I realized I grabbed the wrong cable from home, so we have to buy another one.

This photo really captures how Anna feels about Bella. She chooses Bella over food, playtime, and even a lolly-pop. She already calls her "my sister". It's so cute. Sorry Bella's outfit isn't the cutest. I had her in a cute pink one, and just before I took this photo, she peed all over herself. ~:-)

We are well. We're enjoying this time to bond. I have to say the whole experience thusfar is quite surreal. It almost doesn't seem real. It's great to be parents again, and as the day goes on, it becomes more and more a reality that we have a new baby in our family.

Sidenote, we get some interesting looks for sure in taking a 3 day old baby out in public. Of course, this isn't my preference, I wouldn't recommend it. But in living in a one room hotel without a kitchen - away from home, we've had to go out to get food, diapers, clothing, etc... Thankfully Bella enjoys her carseat and the Baby Bjorn.

Thanks to everyone for their congrats on FB, text, email, etc... Eventhough, we're so far away from ya'll, we feel the love.

We know that God has gone before us as we had fantastic flights w/no delays, we've gotten good prices on rental car, hotel (yes, of course I negotiated). The nurses at the hospital commented on how smoothly this birthmom/adoptive family transition went. We know it's God's orchestration of every event leading up to and His continued grace and provision.

As a mother, I had an amazing experience with T (the birth mom) that I'd like to share with you. She was just so sweet and SO excited to see us. She said she watched the clock every hour for the 20 hours she knew of us and until we arrived. She kept saying that our little family was "adorable". BTW... T is a Christian. She knows God, and prayed to God for Him to "send her baby a family".

I am in tears right now just considering how she may feel going thru this process. She carried Bella in her for 9 months, nurtured her, cared for her., felt her kick inside. She went thru the labor and delivery and held her baby girl. All the while, knowing she would be giving her up. She knew how much she loved her, and knew that the best thing she could do for her baby girl was to allow her to be adoped. I told her that I feel this so clearly exemplifies what God did for us. He sent his Son to Earth to die only because of His love for us. I explained to her that I felt that God did this because He knew it was the best for us, His kids.

Ok, I'm done crying. On a side note, I will mention that Texas is a cool place. I have been here before and so has Greg, but we are mystified by the large expanse of land. The fact that everything IS bigger in Texas, and their parking spots are so small. Not sure why. Those of you who know me well, know that I LOVE thunderstorms. So, here we are in tornado alley in the height of the season. I doubt we will see a tornado, but I would love to see a kickin storm. It'll come, I know... it's just a matter of time.

Just a quick note on Julianna. We have spoken to those who handle newborn adoptions, and there are differing opinions on bringing other children to the adoptive situation. We were both confident that Julianna could handle it. She's so accomodating at this stage of life, and we would miss her SO terrible to not have her with us. Also, we knew she would have forever memories of this time with Bella and us. She has been fantastic! She can't get enough of Bella, and is really helpful to mommy especially with feedings and baby care.

Again, we are thankful for the warm responses we've received from you all. We do wish we were home, but are enjoying the fun of being here as well. Can't complain as I see it's 53 degrees in NH. It's about 85 here! We had an issue with our FBI clearance (it was done in 2007, and it had to be within 2 years, so it was expired) and had to rush to get our fingerprinting done today. This will probably delay the paperwork process a little, and require us to remain in TX for extra time. We are hoping to get home early next week, but that's hopeful. It may be longer. God's in control, and we covet your prayers in regards to the paperwork and finances.

A couple prayer points:
God's continued favor in our doings here (the paperwork, expenses, etc...)
Peace and comfort for the birthmom "T" (to protect her name)

We love you all, and look forward to seeing you when we get back!

6 comments:

  1. THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting. We have been waiting and so excited to finally see a photos of this beautiful girl. (seriously she is just beautiful!!!) Love you guys so much can't wait to meet her in person.
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me crying now too! I am so happy for you guys! I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like you had a whirlwind adoption too- hmmmm....very familiar :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture!! Looks like Jules is already an awesome big sister :) So happy for you guys, and you're still in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome story! Very excited for you guys! Can't wait to see Bella in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing, What a blessing, congratulations.

    Sue and Ray

    ReplyDelete